
Molly and I, for whatever reason, packed an 18 month old and a 1 month old into the Yukon and headed 126 miles away from home. We didn't get an early start - 10 a.m. We packed every single snack we could think of - but not lunches, we even put beef stew into the crock pot at 7 a.m. before we left. We had no idea of what to expect, but it turned out okay. Apart from Galina's constant whining on the way there because I didn't encourage her to nap during her scheduled nap time (Don't ask me, I don't know and was smacking myself later) it wasn't a horrible trip. Of course the scenery in WA is fantastic. Lake Crescent was on our right while we were headed there for almost 30 minutes. It was beautiful. The rest of the trip we were getting glimpses of snow covered mountains and, well, of course, casinos. Do people really plan to vacation in the middle of nowhere so that they can gamble? What a waste.
At any rate, we drove through Port Angeles and looked around - nothing interesting - after almost 3 1/2 hours in the car, we made it to La Push Beach #1. La Push itself was interesting but the beach was fantastic. The sand wasn't sand at all but actual huge rocks. It was like a river bed, but the ocean. There were huge chunks of granite too - well, smooth, rounded chunks - so not chunks at all. Galina was beside herself with all of the rocks to pick up and hand to Aunt Mimi. There were GIANT trees washed up on the beach - GIGANTIC. It was pretty amazing. The ocean was ferocious and a very angry gray/green color. But it was pretty awesome to see the northwest corner of the pacific ocean.
We spent about an hour at La Push, because of changing diapers and feeding and using the bathroom (I should say looking for and finding...) and taking pictures. I can't find the pictures from the La Push gas station. They had a sign that said "NO VAMPIRES BEYOND THIS POINT - TREATY LINE". I'm pretty sure Molly took a picture of it, but I can't find it. Twilight stuff is everywhere too. The gas station had a little grill in the back that sold 'Cullen Sandwiches' and 'Bella Cheesfries' - it was pretty hilarious.
Making our way into Forks, we were a little tired and frustrated - especially me because I had realized that I should have let Galina nap on the way there, too late, she fell asleep in the 5 minute drive from La Push to Forks. She woke up as soon as the car stopped though and was a terror in the stores. We drove around Forks to see the 'Carver Cafe' and 'The Cullens House' (which isn't the one used for filming) and to just look around. It is tiny.There are 3 gift stores that take up most of downtown now - and they are all centered around Twilight. Every touristy place of business has a Twilight poster somewhere on the front of it and the one giftstore 'Dazzled by Twilight' was crazy inside. The front half of the store was just like being in the woods - except for all of the t-shirts, magnets, vampire teeth, Twilight cast fake drivers licenses and degrees...it was, on some levels, hilarious. I think my favorite part was that I got two smashed pennys for my collection. I love those. Molly too. Anyhow, Molly had to sit in the truck with Julius for 30 minutes, Galina and I looked around until I couldn't stand not being able to look at anything but the back of Galina's head as she tore something apart or climbed somewhere she shouldn't (Can we say, "Bad Mommy"?). We sat in the front of the Yukon, which Galina LOVES to do, and she got a little bit happier with the help of froot loops and chicken nuggets and BUTTONS (radio, heater, windows...). Once Molly and Julius were ready, we were all ready. Galina had her blanket and night-night and we packed up and headed home. The trip back only took 2 hours and 12 minutes. I didn't speed, but was very motivated to get home. Walking in the door at 7:12 p.m. - we were greeted by the fantastic smell of beef mush - and we all enjoyed it and our insane trip. Now, we're gonna take a few days off and then we're headed to Seattle, unless we go today because it's still SUNNY AND CLEAR! Heaven help us.


2 comments:
oh, I'm so jealous....I would love to drive through FORKS!!!
Sounds awesome to me...even with a no-nap baby. I want to go! The beach sounds and looks amazing.
Post a Comment