Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, January 31, 2011

Honolulu Zoo

Weekend before last, we went to the Honolulu Zoo. We like it there. It's small (thank goodness they're building the elephants a much larger enclosure - can't wait for that) and that's good.
The tamarinds. They were wide awake when we walked past at 9 a.m. They're pretty cute, but I'm not fooled.

King Julian. Love that cartoon.

Funny to watch the turtles STRAIN and strain to get onto the log. No wonder they don't move much once they're up. Too tired.

These two orangutans are never where you can see them - but this guy was there twice within a few minutes. The first time we came by a little asian couple refused to let anyone else near the glass. The Dad just kept taking pictures of the little boy, whose reflection you see - and this is the second time we came by...they were still there. Galina was so sick that day. I'm so sorry we pulled her through the zoo. I'm sorry baby - one day you can read this and know that I really am sorry. We think you enjoyed yourself despite the snot and coughing.

This is Rusty. He's pretty big.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. This guy is massive and so scary looking. Not my calling in life.

After watching this tortoise eat (or something like) the cactus, all Galina could say was, "The tortoise had bird poop on his eyes."

Ice cream. For $4.00. But much needed. The peacock had an eye for it too.

I don't know how much pull female chimpanzees have in their group, but nobody touched this lady's pile of lettuce. Maybe they weren't really feeling lettuce that day - but she had it all to herself. And there were at least 5 other chimps in the same enclosure. They eat all of the fruit first and then walk around checking everything else out. One male walked around loading one hand up with celery sticks. When he had too many to hold, he found a spot and sat by himself eating celery. I guess they keep them regular...

This is Galina being patient while I took several pictures of the same stinkin' baboon.

Finally, an animal she wanted to see!

The hippos were very active as well. They were fun, and scary, to watch!

Climbing on the well-worn giraffe. She enjoyed that.

And we finally got to see the elephants...it was 11 a.m., and the zoo opened at 9, when they finished cleaning the enclosure and brought the elephants out. I don't mean to complain, but I mean 9 a.m. isn't early and why wasn't the enclosure cleaned before business hours? I'm just curious. I always feel bad for these two elephants and can't wait for them to have a larger enclosure. I hope it will be a really great one for them.

Galina enjoyed a corn dog and some sprite before we walked over to the aquarium. We had a nice Saturday and then spent the next week sick sick sick. Thank goodness that's over now! I hope. Looks like we'll be in Hawaii until September too, if anyone wants to take advantage of free accommodations...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ya'll have some really cool animals at the zoo there, I am going to have to get my girls back to the Houston Zoo since we clear ours in under 45 minutes.

kokanuts said...

Me me me me me me! (Beautiful pics too...love the comment about the stinkin' baboon...and everyone looks great, in spite of the snots :)

Me and Nick said...

Nick wants to know why y'all didn't invite him to the Pro-bowl :) It was last weekend...

Love the pics! Galina looks like she's enjoying herself very much, especially the corndog and ice cream :)