Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Minute Man National Park

Right outside the back gate on base is the Minute Man National Park. We've spent two Saturdays there so far. It's really just a trail, the route that the British marched in the Revolutionary War. It wasn't always a National Park and the houses on the trail were all de-modernized and brought back to 1775 standards. It's a nice "hike", mostly shaded, and just right for a few hours on a nice Saturday.
Galina saw these wildflowers and asked me to take her picture in them. I'm loving this change of attitude towards the camera! Now if I could just get her to look at the camera and smile!



 We let Galina walk George, she could walk Bing, but I think he aggravates her because he wants to pull a bit on the leash. George just kind of watches us and wonders what in the world we're thinking. Luckily no squirrels have crossed our path yet...

This is the fireplace from the Hartwell House. That's the cellar (the little niches are for storing bottles and such) and that's three floors worth of fireplaces. The first floor, over the arch, is the kitchen. You can't see the cellar when you're walking up so it's quite a surprise to see how monstrous this brick structure is. The beams are copying the original frame of the house, which all burnt down in the 80s, while this place was a restaurant. Strange.


This was the Hartwell Tavern and is just down the road from the House above. It was neat to go inside. Galina made Brian scrape his boots first. Silly girl!

A little tall.


Don't they look so frown-faced?! I think all of their mouths were full of crackers :) We were waiting for a musket firing display and hungry!

Neat. And loud. Can't imagine a battlefield full of them firing at once. It's a wonder any of those men ever heard again. This gentleman is actually standing on what was a battlefield in the RW. 




We had a good walk. We're getting to know MA. If the weather would make some sense we might start to enjoy ourselves. I say that and it'll become insufferably hot and unbearable, but we're armed with a little plastic pool now, so I guess we'll just walk dogs earlier in the a.m. and later in the p.m. :)
Adapt. I'm sure that's part of the USMC motto somewhere...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Have you taken the kids to the Boston children’s museum? Most libraries have library pass that you guys can get in for $4 a person instead of $20 a person. Oh and we went to the aquarium and I thought it was a BIG waste of time and money.