I think that this is the longest I have ever gone between blogging and someday, when my kids are looking through the books, they're going to wonder. So, I figured I'd fill them in.
Life has been insane for the past few months. Brian finished his first summer semester at the community college. All A's. He jumped into his first full-time semester in August. It's quite the workload for him: Math, History, Art Appreciation, Psychology, English 112, and a College Transfer Seminar.
Not only did he start school again, but I started work again. I'm teaching remedial English classes at the same community college. Everyday at 11:50 a.m. we swap kids and I sprint to my 12:00 p.m. class. It's interesting.
Galina is also still homeschooling. We are using Horizons Math (Grade 1), Handwriting Without Tears (Grade 2), Five in a Row Vol 1, and Elemental Science. So far, we've done a lot of handwriting and math, a little bit of science and while we read books everyday, we haven't really gotten into the swing of FIAR. None of us really has any time to stand still, but Galina is amazing. She has really gotten the hang of reading. It's awesome to have done all of this right beside her. She may go to public school one day, but for now, I'm so grateful that we get to homeschool.
Johnny is making leaps and bounds as well. He can count to ten, typically it's 1-5 and then 7-10, not really all at once either. He loves to sing the A, B, C's - but is always a letter behind! He likes to help out with calendar time and guess the day, and stick the date onto the calendar. He loves when we sing songs, but he thinks it's more fun to make up words or nonsense sounds. He has a workbook called BIG Pencil-Pal Preschool and he mainly just scribbles on the pages for a bit, then joins us when we do art or science experiments. I always love when Galina and I start school with our prayer and when I open my eyes, I see that he has come from somewhere in the house and stood with us for the prayer. It has shown me that he's eager to be included...some days...
The biggest thing that we miss, now that I work, is not being able to go and do the homeschool group's field trips as often, but luckily Granny and Pop have agreed to help out there. Galina won't miss anymore trips, thankfully! Those are a big part of homeschooling. We are trying to figure out what, if any, extracurricular activities to get her into. I think, for awhile, we may not do any - just give her lots of opportunities to try different things. Eventually she'll let us know when there is something she really likes.
So, that's life these days. Nobody sitting around anymore. Except for right now...Brian is off running the Marine Corps 1/2 Marathon this morning and the kids and I just finished pancakes and are watching three different movies. I don't say this because I think it's great, but just for posterity's sake. Galina is watching 'Ferngully' on the computer, Johnny is watching 'Mickey Mouse's The Three Musketeers' on the big T.V. and I'm about to finish an episode of my latest Korean Drama 'An Hundred Years Inheritance' - that is, if Netflix will let three devices run at once! And all before 9 a.m. on a Saturday!
How crazy!
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
:)
You're Super Mom!!!!!!!! I seriously feel like I am out of breath just reading your blog!!! =0)
Post a Comment